Monday, December 11, 2017

Week 73: December 11, 2017. Duvan is baptized and becomes my companion.

So first of all, I would like to apologize for the lack of a group email these past few weeks, but I hope this will make up for it. 

So this week has been kinda crazy but pretty good.

To give a quick rundown, Tuesday, we were working normally until we received a call for emergency transfers. So we ran up to Bogota and got there at two in the morning.  On Wednesday I was with the secretaries and on Thursday we had the mission Christmas party. That was so awesome to see some of my old friends and companions. It was awesome to see Elder Roque who I was with for almost five months in Girardot.  I love that kid so much and am really trying to pressure him to go to BYU. Also, it was great to receive a message from our Mission President and his wife. They are so amazing and as they talked about miracles and how we can obtain them, it dawned on me that many times we witness miracles everyday, sometimes we just don't realize them.  

And then I was put in a trio in Espinal (the next town over) until I could get my new companion. They were super awesome and we had a fun time in the hottest place in the mission.  Also, my amazing family sent me a Christmas package and some much needed AMERICAN COOKIES.  Honestly, such a highlight.

When we were coming back from Bogota, it was a holiday here in Colombia, so there weren't any buses. Normally it was a four hour bus ride but it was insane.  We were pushed in the bus and we had about 40 people in a 25 seat bus. I felt the prompting to give my seat to someone, and truly felt that the Lord helped me as me and some other people stood on the bus for the six hour bus ride that it turned out to be.

And the highlight of the week was the baptism of Duvan. He was progressing to be baptized a while ago, but because he didn't have permission he wasn't able to be baptized.  But when I was here on an intercambio, I felt the need to touch his door and he has made so many changes in his life and so, I was able to baptize him. He was baptized in a pool because the font in Espinal is broken.

My Mission President then asked me if I could find a mini missionary to accompany me this transfer as my companion.  I asked Duvan and he said "yes".  So right now, Duvan and I are companions. 

I am so grateful for him.  He has been through a lot in his life but he teaches so well and with a great testimony that Christ really does love us. I am so grateful for him and how he has helped me this week.  I am excited to get to work. 

I hope you all have a great week

Elder Parson

My old companions in Libertad.

A view of Chicoral from a hike.

The pool where Duvan was baptized.

Duvan and me...mission companions.