Monday, January 23, 2017

E-mail 28: January 23, 2017. Cameos....Elder Thompson..,Jose Arley Baptism


So this week was really interesting. I was just finishing writing my group  email last week when we got a call  from the zone leaders to have interviews with the President. During the interview, he told me that i would be getting a new companion, Elder Thompson. And now I have 5 months in the field, and 5 companions. And I promise I haven't punched any of them, maybe😉 

I was really sad to see Elder Vega go, he had to leave for health reasons, but I am loving it here in Neiva with my new companion. Honestly, he is one of the craziest people I have ever met, but he is awesome! He is so cool, he has had a difficult life, but he loves the mission! He has 14 months in the mission and he actually trained someone from my group. I am learning so much from him.

But here in Neiva things are going really well. First things first, we had a baptism! His name is Jose Arley and has been investigating the church for 5 months. He has had a really hard life and has had to make some very big changes. It has been amazing to witness the power of the Atonement in his life. He had been struggling with temptations for a very long time, so we called him almost every night to make sure he had read the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon has such a great power in our lives. I know that whenever I have had temptation, that when I need help, all I need to do is just turn to the Book of Mormon. It has such great power to transform our lives. It is amazing to see here, that whatever doubts or questions that people have, if they will just read the Book of Mormon, they begin to feel their questions being answered. 

And to end on a happy note, this week while we were filling up the baptismal font some ladies came up to us and asked if they could have our palomas, which are pigeons. I was so confused, why would anyone wants pigeons. They explained to us that the baby pigeons are really good to make a soup as a remedy for cancer. We were thinking "well, we dont need the pigeons" so we went up close to the roof and helped take the baby pigeons from their nests, and then our neighbors took them away to make soup. Definately one of the strangest times of my mission, and I do feel a little bad that now I am a murderer of 2 baby pigeons.

But this week has been great. I am loving Colombia, my companion, and this great work of the Lord.  I hope you all have a fantastic week, and feel the love that the Lord has for you. 

Love, 

Elder Parson.

P.S. the pictures are from the baptism, and when my companion and I found some amazing cookies with milk

Jose Arley Baptism.

Jose Arley and his children.

Elder Thompson and Elder Parson enjoying cookies and milk.